Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Sunday, Bloody...

So I was listening to U2's "Sunday, Bloody Sunday" the other day. Not by choice, mind you. I've heard that song plenty and I don't think I'll ever find a reason to play it for my own indulgence--ever. I don't think I could ever impose such phony self-righteousness on my home fragile home stereo. It just so happened that Bono was wailing his moldy-oldy over the boom-boom system at the coffee shop I frequent. Unlike all the other times I've heard this staple of the almighty U2 canon, on this day, I found it to be quite thought provoking. No, it wasn't what the bleeding-heart leprechaun was singing about; I could never be bothered to actually pay attention to the words beyond the old "How long, how long must we sing this song" (conversely, how long must we HEAR this song?) and the well-worn chorus: "Sunday, Bloody Sunday. Suunnnnnnnnndaaaaaaaaay." In fact, all I needed was that chorus to grease the creaky cranks of my creative mind and dream up something big: two band names. The first is Sunday Bloody Stool. Impressive, I know. From there, I followed the whole poop 'n' blood train of thought to the second band name: My Bloody Stool. So if you're a band in desperate need of a handle, you now have options. Special thanks to Bono, Edge and the two guys with regular names.

1 comment:

Rob said...

i saw sunday bloody stool open for the pogues in the nam, man. that show was better than getting raped by a bear*.



* depending on the bear.